Thursday, July 1, 2010

1 More Day

Ex-H will be released from prison on July 3 at 12:01 a.m.  1 day, and about 8 more hours.  He will walk free, and we will lose the freedom we have enjoyed over these past 4 years.  Again we will have to hide and worry and be afraid.  Sure, he is on probation, and will have his GPS anklet.  But none of us are stupid enough to believe that will keep us safe if he decides to come after us.  Sure, we are taking all the precautions we can, but no one can say what his state of mind is or what lengths he will go to. 

Tomorrow is my last day of freedom.  Sure, I am afraid.  I am sad that I can't leave the house by myself without having to worry, or let the kids play on the street, just in case he gets it in his head to take them; that I have to parade his mugshot in front of my co-workers, just in case he decides to show up; that I have change my route to work everyday, and take so many other little steps, to keep him off our trail and keep us all safe.  I shouldn't have to hide.  I shouldn't have to keep my kids inside.  I shouldn't have to worry and cry and lose sleep.  But I do.  And he gets to walk free. 

(And yes, I have spent a significant amount of time whining about how unfair this all is.  Amazingly, it does not seem to help in changing the situation any.)

Best case scenario, he follows the requirements of his parole, the child custody/visitation order (which gives him zero custody or visitation, and does not allow him to contact the children) and the various restraining orders, then disappears and doesn't bother us once his parole is up.  Or, even better, he violates the terms of his parole (which seems pretty damn easy to do, he has a lot of requirements to fill, seeing as he is a convicted sex offender and deemed a sexually violent predator and I think it highly likely) and goes back to prison for another 5 years.  So keep your fingers crossed and knock on wood (and whatever else you can think of to bring us some luck!).

No comments: